Long-tailed cuckoo, Pohnpei, Micronesia

Birds of the islands and waters of the South Pacific.
gmckinlay

Long-tailed cuckoo, Pohnpei, Micronesia

Postby gmckinlay » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:08 pm

After years of looking out during usually annual visits I have finally found them here. I have heard them calling at night here before, but that was all.

June 24, half an hour before sunset, from beside the Sokehs cellphone tower, I first heard one then two birds calling. Wasn’t at first 100% sure, as I hadn’t heard them since December’s at Arthur’s Pass and one of the local Micronesian myzomela’s calls is not entirely dissimilar. But ,yes, they kept calling and responding and eventually one flew up briefly into view above the canopy. Shortly thereafter this happened again, but the other bird zoomed in for a quick interaction. I listened and watched until sunset. At one point one of them made a long flight up towards Sokeh’s Rock, then dropped almost vertically and very rapidly into the bush below. Maybe the worst photos ever posted here, but perhaps of interest.

They were not heard the following morning or evening, but I did here and briefly see one again on June 26, but not since despite several visits.

I am amazed at both the incredible migration to get up to here, and that such a migration from NZ to here can even evolve. I see from NZ birds online that there is a recent paper on that. I was able to find the abstract online, but not the full article. Can anyone suggest how I might be able to access that? It is not possible to wander down to the library here in Pohnpei.
Inflight_small.jpg
In flight
Inflight_small.jpg (108.04 KiB) Viewed 5351 times
InTreeTop.jpg
In the canopy
InTreeTop.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 5351 times
Michael Szabo

Re: Long-tailed cuckoo, Pohnpei, Micronesia

Postby Michael Szabo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Brian Gill says he'll send the paper to your personal email address - good luck finding more of them while you're there.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
gmckinlay

Postby gmckinlay » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:44 pm

One (at least) is still present in same location.
Photographed again Thursday 18th, and heard this morning.
LTCuckoo1 small.JPG
LTCuckoo1 small.JPG (129.22 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
gmckinlay

Postby gmckinlay » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:14 am

Another visit to Pohnpei. I was provided the following reports, by Danny Rosenkraus and American birder who is lucky enough to be living there at present. All except the last sighting are within a km of where I saw the cuckoos last year.
I am curious to know if the sighting of 6 LT cuckoos in December is significant. Are they known to group together n those numbers during their time in the pacific and are they known to be up there in December.
The record from Nahnalaud is at the very top of the island - an unusual environment, dwarf cloud forest essentially. Although only a sound record I don't doubt it given who the guide was.

October 26, 2013
Pohnpei, FSM
Sokehs Ridge at telecom tower on north end of ridge, early am
Recollections:
One individual was within 15-20 feet, observed for approximately 2 minutes, with binoculars
Located in top of small tree moving around, elusive
Form/silhouette of a “cuckoo”, long tail, vertical-streaked white chest, back overall brown with black bars, heavy bill curved

December 10, 2013
Pohnpei, FSM
Sokehs Ridge at nahs where the access road reaches the plateau, midmorning
Seven individuals in the top/canopy of a very tall large tree (Albesia?)
Recollections:
While sitting under/in the nahs early-midmorning after a small rain shower, I heard a raucous chatter of birds to the north. The vocalizations increased as if they were approaching through the forest canopy. Eventually, perhaps 3-5 minutes passed before multi birds appeared in a nearby tree overhead. They were slightly backlight by the morning sun but it they had long tails, were darkish above, with heavy curved bills and lighter chests. I observed them (with binoculars) in that tree for 3 minutes, with very good glimpses of their silhouette, “hunched-over look” and the contrasting dark top and lighter chest with long tails. They then proceeded to move on to another tree in the forest, I probably heard them for a few more minutes before they moved beyond my audial range. I seem to recall some other smaller birds flying around them but did not really pay any attention to those species.

February 20/21, 2014
Pohnpei, FSM
Nanalaud, Summit of highest peak on Pohnpei, Forest with numerous Pandanus
Recollections:
Heard voice/chatter of bird(s) that sounded familiar but I could not identify the bird call. Pohnpeian Forest Guide Relio Lengsei indicated that it was the Long-tailed Cuckoo. I cannot confirm.

Return to “South Pacific Birds”