Other Pohnpei sightings

Birds of the islands and waters of the South Pacific.
gmckinlay

Other Pohnpei sightings

Postby gmckinlay » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Over the past 3 weeks:

Short eared owl. Flying high over Sokehs hill. The Pohnpei subspecies, which is undoubtedly becoming very rare. I last saw one in 2002 or 2003.

Tropical shearwater. I have often seen them at sea here, but for the first time heard and saw a small number coming in at dusk.

Bristle thigh curlew. On Ahnd atoll. I seem to be able to find them there every year, when I can get out to there. Photo at the bottom of this post.

Endemics: Pohnpei, Lorikeet, Fantail, Flycatcher and the Grey white eye all very common. As are Micronesian kingfisher, starling, myzomela and carolines reed-warbler, as well as the swiftlets. I am hearing and seeing Micronesian pigeons reasonably easily, but the carolines ground doves are so far only heard. Long-billed white-eye and Pohnpei cicadabird have eluded me so far this visit. I can usually find the former here, but have only ever seen the later once.

Tree sparrows arrived here within the last decade. They are now becoming very conspicuous around the main town, but I am surprised by how gradual their outward spread seems to be proceeding.
Bristle-thigh curlew13_small2.jpg
Showing the bristles well
Bristle-thigh curlew13_small2.jpg (75.01 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Other Pohnpei sightings

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Sounds like a great birding location!. I will have to research more on the area.

Return to “South Pacific Birds”