Te Araroa 2022 ebirding

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Nakilad

Te Araroa 2022 ebirding

Postby Nakilad » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:45 am

Kia ora all,
I meant to post this way back in January but life got a bit busy. My wife and I are on currently walking Te Araroa-The Long Pathway. We started in Bluff on January 1st and just yesterday we completed the South Island section at Ship Cove on the Queen Charlotte Track. In a couple of days we will start the North Island section and hope to reach Cape Reinga late May.

One of the tasks I set myself to give a bit more meaning to our adventure was to record an eBird checklist for the NZ Bird Atlas at least once a day for the entirety of our journey. So far I've only missed 3 days out of 89. But I've completed 121, so on average... :D I've recorded 70 species, although I missed several SI species I had hoped to see. But that's happened to us all, right?

If you're interested you can read my most recent trip report for Tasman/Marlborough here, and you should be able to view the rest of them easily https://ebird.org/tripreport/45066

Finally, if anyone lives near the Te Araroa Trail in the North Island and would like to host us for a night when we pass through please message me. Our minimum needs are a place to pitch the tent and cook dinner, and a hot shower. We can repay you with stories from the trail and Bird talk.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely
Patrick Crowe

Re: Te Araroa 2022 ebirding

Postby Patrick Crowe » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:15 am

Nice work Vaughan, I’ve been following your progress through Marlborough on eBird. What SI species have you missed that you were hoping to see?
Nakilad

Postby Nakilad » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:17 pm

Hi Patrick. I missed kaka, and surprisingly kea. Although I heard kea once or twice, I didn't see them at any huts or even Arthurs Pass. I hoped to see mohua and OF kākāriki at Hurunui Valley, probably a long shot. Somehow I also missed whio, but I'll see them in the NI I'm sure. But highlights were falcon and white heron.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely
Nakilad

Postby Nakilad » Fri May 27, 2022 7:11 pm

Kia ora,

Quick update from Northland. We're now walking Ninety Mile Beach with 3 days to go before finishing at Cape Reinga.
Here's a link to my Northland (so far) trip report if anyone's interested.
https://ebird.org/tripreport/57703

Leaving Ahipara this morning I started seeing dead little blue penguins so I thought I'd do a dead birds beach patrol as well as ebirding. Over 10 km of beach I found 75 penguins, 1 Albatross sp. and 6 diving petrel. Seems like a lot of penguins. Extrapolated over the 30km we walked that's 225. I know extrapolation only works if there's a fairly even distribution, but I continued to see them frequently. So I think it's a reasonable estimate. It'll be interesting to see if the numbers are the same to the end of the beach. I'll submit beach patrol reports at a later date.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely

Return to “General Birding Discussion”