DOC suspects someone illegally releasing weka in South Taranaki

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
NoahF

DOC suspects someone illegally releasing weka in South Taranaki

Postby NoahF » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:41 pm

Noticed an article today from RNZ regarding a weka sighting in the Taranaki region: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/488 ... h-taranaki

Interesting that somebody would decide to do this, probably not a smart idea as it is a bird from the South Island. However I personally believe that treating the bird as though it is some unwanted alien organism seems quite extreme. It's not an invasive species, it's an endemic bird species. So why are weka treated as though they are some sort of unwanted component in the visionary New Zealand forest ecosystem? Do people really think "predator-free New Zealand" means getting rid of ALL predators, regardless of their natural history or endemism? Predators/scavengers such as weka have lived in New Zealand for a long time and are just as endemic as our kiwi, kaka and saddleback - they shouldn't be compared with invasive predators, surely? Is there data to support that weka are just as bad, or worse, than invasive predators? Perhaps I am overthinking it a little, but it is interesting how the public and DOC perceives weka.

I'd be interested to hear other people's comments and insight, cheers.
Jan

Re: DOC suspects someone illegally releasing weka in South Taranaki

Postby Jan » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:14 am

Interesting report, thanks Noah. Weka had to be cleared from Whenua hou/Codfish Is. before translocations of other species could begin. Weka weren't native to the island, they had been introduced to provide food for sailors. When Weka were removed the fauna on Whenua Hou bounced back and seabirds flourished again.
It is also important to keep the genetics of N Is. Weka separate from S Is. Weka, so that's another important reason to catch the birds asap. They maybe being introduced to provide a food source......that's another possibility.
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:59 pm

I think it is quite well explained on the DoC website.
Seems the weka will be re-homed not killed.
Hopefully they are NI weka and have dispersed naturally - I imagine if this is the case they will be left in place?
Good rat/mice killers as well!!

Cheers
Jim
Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:09 pm

genetic study of the first bird, showed it came from nelson marlbourgh though.
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:34 am

Thanks Jan - I wasn't aware of that.
Weka are good swimmers of course but the Tasman Sea might be a bit of a stretch!!
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:28 pm

Manaia would seem like an ill-advised place to attempt an introduction (i.e. intensive farming for miles around with little native bush cover). If this wasn't accidental/incidental (i.e. Stowaways on a boat/car/truck), I wonder if this is just the tip of an iceberg? Might be worth doing some listening surveys in the hills E/NE of Hawera. Unlikely but possible.
Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:09 pm

There are people breeding weka at a few places in Canterbury and they naturally 'escape' sometimes, so maybe that's what's happening here.
Jake

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:21 pm

The hybrid popn on Kapiti Island would presumably become a concern, should vagrants start breeding in Wellington?
Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:43 pm

They are unlikely to escape naturally from Kapiti though. Aren't they flightless?
Jake

Postby Jake » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:41 pm

Yup, flightless but pretty good swimmers. Pretty sure one was recorded on that Wellington Coast somewhat recently: so even the odd hybrid showing up means a reintroduction of "pure-bred" NI Weka could be a bit compromised. All hypothetical, of course

Return to “General Birding Discussion”