Visiting NZ

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
BenjiS

Visiting NZ

Postby BenjiS » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:01 am

I'm planning on going to Auckland, New Zealand at the start of August for a week, not planning on going to any nature reserves but was wondering what birds I can expect to see, and therefore need to read up on.

Thanks in advance
Liam Ballard

Re: Visiting NZ

Postby Liam Ballard » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:36 pm

As a rough summary:
Cities/suburbs: feral pigeons, common mynas, house sparrows, spotted doves, chaffinch, greenfinch, goldfinch, tui, nz fantail, nz pigeon, welcome swallow
Gardens/urban parks (e.g. Mount Eden Domain, Auckland Domain, Cornwall park): add yellowhammers, goldfinches, grey warblers, Australian magpies, mallards, domestic greylag geese
Shore/coastal: Red-billed and kelp gulls, bar-tailed godwits, white-faced herons, white-fronted terns, caspian terns, pied, black, little shags, sacred kingfishers, royal spoonbills, variable and southern pied oystercatchers, pukeko
Liam Ballard
Richard_Jones

Re: Visiting NZ

Postby Richard_Jones » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:09 pm

Benji,
Despite your comment that you're not planning on going to any nature reserves, I strongly suggest you make an exception and make a day trip to Tititiri Matangi Island - NZ's top nature reserve in my humble opinion. An easy trip via ferry from Auckland Waterfront (https://www.exploregroup.co.nz/auckland ... and-ferry/).
Enjoy ...
Richard

Return to “General Birding Discussion”