Bittern shot near Kawhia, Waikato

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Bittern shot near Kawhia, Waikato

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:02 pm

A bittern was shot in May (duck shooting season) and subsequently put down. Just over the hill from me, it's absolutely disgusting. Having drawn a blank, the authorities are going public now in the hope someone may know something relevant and pass it on.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/waikato-news ... EDOWIYDKU/
Ian McLean

Re: Bittern shot near Kawhia, Waikato

Postby Ian McLean » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:20 pm

How pathetic, how could duck hunters get this wrong in mistaking a bittern for a duck. Were they drunk &/or do they just have shit for brains ?
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:27 am

I think there is a proportion who just don't care, or just want to shoot anything. The list of duck season bykill is too long to be anything else. Off the top on my head I know of fantail, kākā, spoonbill, pelican, and now bittern. Basically, yes, SFB.
AngryBird45

Postby AngryBird45 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:40 pm

Neil Fitzgerald wrote:I think there is a proportion who just don't care, or just want to shoot anything. The list of duck season bykill is too long to be anything else. Off the top on my head I know of fantail, kākā, spoonbill, pelican, and now bittern. Basically, yes, SFB.

Don't forget about Scaup, Grey Teal, and also even though it wasn't mistaken for a duck, 4 Takahe were mistaken for Pukeko by duck hunters.
133 birds on my life list since 17 June 2020, latest bird Common Tern.
93 birds on my 2024 year list as of 6:50pm 13 January, latest bird Indian Peafowl.

15 y/o birder from the Waimak and Paradise Shelduck campaigner: facebook.com/paradiseshelduck.
Wrybill

Postby Wrybill » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:23 am

:x Disgusting, these people's brains must be mush
they probably didn't even follow Talicsa if they managed to shoot a Bittern.
128 Species on my life-list, Latest Lifer Pectoral Sandpiper, Hokio Stream

Return to “General Birding Discussion”