Spotless Crake call ?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Jim Kirker

Spotless Crake call ?

Postby Jim Kirker » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:42 pm

Recorded on a fine late morning on 13 May this year at Tahuna Torea, where the mangroves meet regenerating bush by the causeway, a known spotless crake location. The calls were a few minutes apart after I had played spotless crake "pit" calls. I could not find a spotless crake call sounding like this on Xenocanto, NZ Birds online or ebird. I have heard and seen fernbirds responding to spotless crake playback previously at other places and am wondering if this is actually a fernbird (or some other bird).

20230513_112226-1[1].wav [ 571.54 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]

20230513_112226-0[1].wav [ 651.54 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]

simon.fordham

Re: Spotless Crake call ?

Postby simon.fordham » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:27 am

Hi Jim. I had to think about this one - it is familiar. I believe it is a budgerigar.

Were you near any houses. in which case it will likely be a caged bird? If not, it could be an escapee.

Re. fernbirds, they were introduced to Tahuna Torea back in the 70s but the population was short-lived.

Cheers
Simon
Jim Kirker

Re: Spotless Crake call ?

Postby Jim Kirker » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:55 am

Hi Simon, the nearest suburban houses are a bit more than 100 metres away, so I think escapee is more likely. There are ebird records of budgerigars from Cox's Park and Whangaparaoa, similarly close to suburbs in the Auckland region, but no reports from Tahuna Torea and eastern suburbs. Tahuna Torea is regularly visited so there's a chance someone may see or hear the bird again. After I posted, the thought occurred it could have been a banded rail call and they are often reported there.
Interesting about the fernbird introduction in 70's. Someone mentioned how similar the environment at Tahuna Torea is to Harbourview Reserve in Te Atatu, where our Auckland branch did transects in March this year and saw and heard fernbirds, a banded rail and heard spotless crakes.
Not really contributory, but collared doves are seen and heard regularly at Tahuna Torea, presumably also escapees.
Cheers, Jim

Return to “General Birding Discussion”