Where to see Blue Duck and Long-tailed Cuckoo in the North Island

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Gregortims

Where to see Blue Duck and Long-tailed Cuckoo in the North Island

Postby Gregortims » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:53 pm

Hi everyone, in December I’ll be heading up to the North Island for a trip to Taranaki and am hoping to add on a couple of days to try and find two birds which have so far eluded me - the Blue Duck and Long-tailed Cuckoo. I can happily drive far from Taranaki if required, but am wondering what might be the best sites to look for these two birds?

I’ve heard that Pureora Forest can be great for the Cuckoo and maybe there or potentially Mount Taranaki could be good for the Blue Duck? Are there any particular sites I should try?

Also it would be great to know if there’s anywhere which might be reliable for Brown Kiwis.

Jim_j

Re: Where to see Blue Duck and Long-tailed Cuckoo in the North Island

Postby Jim_j » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:33 pm

All 3 of those species are found in Egmont NP.
I have always found LTC very hard to spot - best chance is when they are flying across a gully or between patches of bush - so a lot of patience...,!
I was there some years ago and believe I was in the middle of a "lek" breeding group - multiple birds calling in the trees around me - couldn't spot a single one though.

The DoC visitor centre will likely have best advice on Blue Duck and Kiwi - spotting a Kiwi at night in the bush - good luck with that!!

Cheers
Jim
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:46 am

The Pureora Forest Lodge area can be a good area for koekoea in summer. The Tongariro River in Turangi is a good site to look for whio - try near the footbridge by the Major Jones pool area.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
Logan

Postby Logan » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:05 pm

Hi there,

Have only seen both species once before, but at a location recommended by an experienced birder.

Just in the river behind whakapapa holiday park, over the road from the whakapapa fire station. Whio spotted from the bridge on Bruce road. Probably just blind luck but had both species within 20-30 minutes - was during the summer a couple years back.

Tawhai falls worth a look for whio on the way in or out.

Good luck,

Logan
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:39 am

For Taranaki, Pureora, and the adjacent districts, I highly recommending using the ebird species maps for fairly up to date information on where Blue Duck and LT Cuckoos are being seen: https://ebird.org/map

Recent sightings will be in red (best to check closer to December) but you'll also get an idea for where some of the more reliable sites are in different spots. Generally the strategy for both species is the same everywhere (i.e. Listen for the cuckoos, track them down, and desperately scan the treetops/hoping for a flyover, and for Blue Ducks--patrol every accessible inch of river in known areas, and then do it again if you have to!)

Good luck,

Russ

Return to “General Birding Discussion”