Waikanae Spit and dogs

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
GrahamB

Waikanae Spit and dogs

Postby GrahamB » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:04 am

Happy New Year!
Just got back from a quick trip to the Waikanae Spit this morning. About 4-5 NZ Dotterels and 2 Bar-tailed Godwits on the inner channel. The main event is the incredible WF Tern frenzy at the end with huge numbers in the breeding flock (and many fluffy babies) and constant stream of adults bringing fish back - most of the feeding taking place on the Paraparaumu side in the surf zone. A real wildlife spectacle.

However, the main point of this post is that on the way back (on sea-side) a couple were walking with a dog - a large one that was chasing oystercatchers, within a couple of hundred meters of the first flock of resting terns :x . A couple of weeks previously I had politely mentioned to anther couple + dog that dogs were not permitted on the sand spit - no problem. This time I was probably more abrupt (because the dog was actually chasing birds) and the situation was a bit nasty - very defensive/aggressive on the other side. Claimed not to have seen the signs - what was I going to do about it etc, etc. I do think the signage could be better but many people - especially the entitled population with their bloody dogs seem to choose to do what they like. Anyway, rant over. Try and be calm, polite and reasonable. 8-)
Cheers,
GrahamB
Jan

Re: Waikanae Spit and dogs

Postby Jan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:08 pm

Are there any rangers at that site?
GrahamB

Postby GrahamB » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:50 pm

No idea. It seems pretty much free range. I've never understood what is meant by its "Scientific Reserve" status anyway - why is whitebaiting allowed, for instance? In the past I have waded up to my neck into the channel to rescue a Little Shag trapped in a fixed net - why is that permitted?
Cheers,
GrahamB
Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:56 pm

There's a Wildlife Reserve at Lake Ellesmere where there are also many maimai and duck shooting is rampant. Why!?
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:42 pm

Check the wildlife act, but usually scientific reserve means no dogs. Both DoC and the local council animal control are legally responsible for compliance. Aside from the specific rules around scientific reserves, It’s an offence under the general provisions of the wildlife act for people or dogs to disturb nesting birds or their young. Disturb means disturb - it’s not necessary for there to be a dead bird, chick or egg for the offence to be committed. Under the dog control act it’s an offence for a dog to “be at large” near protected wildlife”. It doesn’t need to be attacking - simply at large near - protected wildlife.
It’s a pity the previous government didn’t update the wildlife act to increase penalties and make it clearer to enforcement agencies that disturbance of protected wildlife is a threat to multiple populations of species and probably more of a driver in avoidance of an area by certain species than predation or habitat condition. Let’s hope the new Govt will do something about it , but who knows? Especially as many people see their dogs as their children and not as a potential predatory animal under their management.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”