Kakapo behaviour at Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Davidthomas

Re: Kakapo behaviour at Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:47 pm

I guess they've decided Little Barriers a bust also as surely that could have a carrying capacity of atleast one hundred birds?
fras444

Re: Kakapo behaviour at Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari

Postby fras444 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:43 am

Davidthomas wrote:I guess they've decided Little Barriers a bust also as surely that could have a carrying capacity of atleast one hundred birds?

I'm really intrigued into how that Little barrier experiment has gone....

I was on the island literally a month or three after they had released them back in 2012 and through my ranger/supervisor that our team was under at the time, she had updated quite regularly through the little barrier facebook page... The progress on the birds and booming habits and what not... While I was one the island.. One was actually taken off the island due to an infection that was sweeping through the entire population...

When she left, the ranger that took over her role was semi frequent on the facebook blogs but I'm guessing after that person left... The subsequent replacements weren't that all social media type people as there have been nothing posted for like the last four or five years...

The actual ranger that is in charge of the Kokako trial, she had great anticipation of the trial and some birds were actually on the island years ago when they were first trialing the idea of introducing them to Little barrier (removed before the control of the last pests began) as the island is massive (compared to codfish) and with the perfect habitat, little barrier could very easily secure the population forever and be a launching pad for nationwide reintroductions.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”