How to see Little Spotted Kiwi

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Kiwi-seeker

How to see Little Spotted Kiwi

Postby Kiwi-seeker » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:33 am

Hi, thanks for the great forum...

I'm an overseas birder traveling to Auckland in late March for unrelated purposes... I have a chance of tagging two days onto my trip and I would very much like to see Little Spotted Kiwi, a bird I've missed on a previous NZ trip. However, I seem to be too late with my preparations: to my chagrin, it turns out that the bunk beds on Tiritiri are booked out for my possible dates, the night tours in Zealandia are fully booked many weeks in advance, and a night in Kapiti seems to cost more than the rest of my entire trip.

I'd love to find out whether there is a reasonable chance of seeing this kiwi from along the fenceline track at Zealandia (from the outside) if one is willing to dedicate a few hours at night using a red-light beam. Based on eBird, I gather people easily hear it around here, but I'm not sure how good the chances of seeing them would be.
Alternatively, I wonder if Shakepear near Auckland would provide a fair chance to see them (not only hear them).

I highly appreciate any advice on this. I'd love to have a sense of my chances before booking my flights to any particular city.

Thank you very much for any information.
CMKMStephens

Re: How to see Little Spotted Kiwi

Postby CMKMStephens » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:16 pm

There is a reasonable chance of seeing one from the outside of the fence, if you'll be satisfied with 'fleeting glimpse through tight wire mesh'. When I go taking photos of bugs on the fence at night I probably see a kiwi every second time.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”