Birdlife Queen Charlotte Track, Pelorus Track

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Jim_j

Birdlife Queen Charlotte Track, Pelorus Track

Postby Jim_j » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:25 am

Got back from a week tramping Ship Cove through to Nelson.
Reasonable birdlife along the Queen Charlotte Track - weka throughout, bellbird, tomtit, fantail grey warbler, small groups of brown creeper in the manuka and pines (not heard in the bush), no robin heard.
A few fernbird heard in the saltmarsh either side of Havelock and a small pied shag colony a couple of km before Havelock.
Pelorus Bridge campsite had good numbers of common natives & exotics (lots oftraps to protect the l/t bats)

Pelorus track pretty much a birdless dead zone - more variety & numbers in our suburban street than across the 30km or so track I traversed!!

Occasional bellbird heard, grey warbler occasionally, very occasional tomtit, a few tui around the kowhai and an occasional pigeon - even the exotics were virtually nil -very occasional thrush, blackbird, chaffinch.
A single shining cuckoo heard.
Weka & kingfisher heard throughout with welcome swallow the commonest bird seen (hut clearings and riverbank).
Robins appeared higher up but not in any great numbers - not a single rifleman seen the whole trip.
I'm assuming the mouse/rat plague has vacuumed up most of the birdlife!!
Although maybe a little bit early for wasps not a single one seen the whole trip - however I did notice honey dew was almost non-existent on the trees - maybe the wasps have finally cooked the golden goose - although what that will do to the beech forest eco-system I hate to think.
Didn't keep exact numbers but I'll load estimates to ebird

Cheers
Jim

Return to “General Birding Discussion”