help finding pelagic tours

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
JosvandenBerg

help finding pelagic tours

Postby JosvandenBerg » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:35 pm

Dear fellow birders, i am a very keen birder from the other side of the world, The Netherlands. Visiting New Zealand coming december and january. I am not able to find a possibility to join a pelagic in this period. My aim was to go out for a day in the Hauraki Gulf and on a day trip Stewart Island. The adresses i got from friends are busy with hunter transport (and fishermen i think). I tried already The Petrel Station and Aurora (Stewart Isl). Information about other touroperators would be much appreciated. Or maybe there's a birder who owns a boat and can organise a trip. Thnx very much in advance. Jos
FraserGurney

Re: help finding pelagic tours

Postby FraserGurney » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:27 pm

Hi Jos,

Wrybill birding tours run pelagics as part of their 21-day tours and sometimes have space for other guests on those. They will have trips in December and January at the locations you mentioned, check the availability and get in touch with them here: https://wrybill-tours.com/pelagic-trips/

If you can't sort anything then the shorter trips with albatross encounter at Kaikoura are really good too. https://albatrossencounter.co.nz/

I hope this helps!
Fraser
JosvandenBerg

Postby JosvandenBerg » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:41 pm

Thank you very much Fraser! our travel schedule doesn't work out well for these trips. we will book one or more trips in Kaikoura. suggestions are still very welcome.
AnnetteC

Postby AnnetteC » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:47 pm

If you do one in Kaikoura, you can ask for a 4 hour option. they are amazing. their basic pelagic is pretty good as well. :-)

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”