Rotorua waterbird survey

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
Eila

Rotorua waterbird survey

Postby Eila » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:45 am

OSNZ BoP is co-operating with DoC Rotorua Lakes Area Office to oragnise the five-yearly waterbird survey of the Rotorua lakes. This survey is designed to count all waterbirds (dabchicks, ducks, shags, geese, swans, you name it) on about 18 of the lakes in the area. Most lakes are surveyed by boat (powerboat or kayak), but some of the smaller ones are done from the shore. This survey will take place over Auckland Anniversary Weekend, which will be Saturday 29th January to Monday 31st January for 2011. We will need boat skippers,(and their boats) observers, and scribes, so please let me know your preferred role if you are keen to help. (Obviously, observers need to have a high level of skill at identifying waterbirds.)

I know this request cmes rather late, but we are widening the net, as still need a few more vols. Would appreciate the message being circulated.
Please get in touch with me if you would like to help. We are hoping there may be some overnight accommodation available - a possibiity only at this stage however. .Would be great to have enough observers that we could finish the survey on Sat/Sun and go look at some shorebirds or bush sites on the Monday.

Please reply to Eila Lawton elawton@actrix.co.nz 07 549 3646

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”