Cattle egrets at Maketu

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Raewyn

Cattle egrets at Maketu

Postby Raewyn » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:28 pm

I was down at the end of Ford Rd at the Kaituna Cut today and over on the new wetland Te Pa Ika there were some egrets roosting with the spoonbills. I thought I saw a yellow bill a few days ago but wasn't sure what it was then. In the attached photo from today there are 5 yellow bills showing. The photo is heavily cropped from one taken from up on the sand dunes showing just the spoonbill/egret roost. On my computer I can see that the first three birds to the left look like egrets, and also the two closest to the camera to the left of the log.

IMG_1297ce.jpg
IMG_1297ce.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 2142 times
Tim Barnard

Re: Cattle egrets at Maketu

Postby Tim Barnard » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks Raewyn, great work and probably a first record for Te Pa Ika ...
Must get up there this weekend to have a look.
All the best,
Tim
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:45 pm

Just following up on Raewyn's post - there were 7 cattle egret in a paddock just west of Ford Road yesterday.
Cheers
Tim
erikforsyth

Postby erikforsyth » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:57 pm

Hi folks

Had a bit of a birding day and hit 58 species starting of with Morepork and Weka calling just before dawn at Mokorua Bush, Whakatane. After visits to Whakatane lakes, Thornton river mouth, Matata wetlands I arrived at Kaituna Spit near lunchtime and found 10 Cattle Egret out on one of the small sandbars. Also of note were 4 Redpoll, feeding and then calling in flight, a species I have not seen here at the coast.

Best wishes
Erik Forsyth
Rockjumper Birding Tours
www.rockjumperbirding.com
Ken George

Postby Ken George » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:12 am

I'm new to the area, and the estuary at Maketu is a great spot, especially the western side from the Ford Road access to the spit. Looking forward to exploring the nearby Kaituna wetlands too. The egrets must move around a bit, I haven't had much luck with them so far.
Last edited by Ken George on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:20 am

That's interesting Eric. Redpoll populations in and around Rotorua have collapsed in the last 5 or 6 years. Used to see big flocks at Okere Falls and near Whakarewarewa - all but gone now.
Ken George

Postby Ken George » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:56 am

11 cattle egret at the end of Ford Road just after high tide yesterday. Quite close, on the small land bar opposite the Coastguard Maketu depot. After about 15 minutes they flew directly over me heading west so I was able to get a good count.
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:50 am

Thanks Ken,
I saw them from State Highway 2 in flooded fields late afternoon ... just passed the Kaituna River crossing ... obviously ranging around the area.
Tim
Ken George

Postby Ken George » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:16 am

Hi Tim, as a recent arrival in this part of the country, I'd be keen to join you (and any other local listers) on visits to the local wader hotspots this coming season, especially Little Waihi, Pukehina, Maketu and Ohiwa. Much appreciated if you would PM me your contact details please. Thanks Tim. Ken
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:21 pm

Sounds good Ken ... I've sent a note but seems to be stuck in my outbox. Try sending me a message and I'll reply.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”