Pacific gull reported from Paihia

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Colin Miskelly

Pacific gull reported from Paihia

Postby Colin Miskelly » Mon May 24, 2021 5:20 pm

Kia ora

Reported via NZ Birds Online. No photos.

I think i saw a ( one ) Pacific gull on the beach in Paihia ... Definitely not a red bill , or any other of the normal gulls.
Big, bright red beak ... Aggressive to all the other gulls and even the oyster catchers

I thought I would report it anyway, my wife saw what I saw, and it looks like the Pacific gulls we see on the web.

I saw the bird at approx 2 pm 24 May 2021 on Te Tii beach, Paihia

Basically in front of the marae
Brent Stephenson

Re: Pacific gull reported from Paihia

Postby Brent Stephenson » Tue May 25, 2021 9:46 am

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting this out quickly.

I just wonder, why someone would describe it as 'definitely not a red bill, or any other of the normal gulls' and with a 'big, bright red beak' and then think it was a Pacific gull? Pacific gull's don't have a big bright red beak? And I would have thought somebody struggling to identify a gull in this manner would not actually have picked it as different from a kelp gull? Could it have been a Caspian tern perhaps? They are not generally 'aggressive' but the begging of a juvenile might be taken as aggression?

I'd LOVE to be wrong...
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue May 25, 2021 12:05 pm

Have passed this onto local birders just in case.
Colin, I'm wondering why the Pacific Gull record from Glink's Gully now says 'Not Accepted' on the UBR site? http://rare.birds.org.nz/
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Tue May 25, 2021 2:14 pm

You are too quick for me Oscar. That website was updated yesterday, and I was waiting for emails on the matter to be received before posting on this website, which I have now done. I will also remove the Pacific gull page from NZ Birds Online.

Colin
Finn Davey

Postby Finn Davey » Wed May 26, 2021 6:21 pm

Caspian Tern:

Pacific Gull:

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”