Whiskered Tern, Waikanae

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
FraserGurney

Whiskered Tern, Waikanae

Postby FraserGurney » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:37 pm

Jan Keast has today reported via eBird a whiskered tern at Pharazin Reserve near Waikanae.

"Small white tern with shallowly forked tail, black band from eye area around back of nape. Buoyant flight, working upwind over pond, picking insects off surface."

https://ebird.org/atlasnz/checklist/S96052666
Jan Keast

Re: Whiskered Tern, Waikanae

Postby Jan Keast » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:43 pm

Yes, seen this morning and unusual bird report submitted and regional rep notified. No photo taken as I don't have a good enough camera. Would be good if someone could get a good image and confirm or otherwise!
Will re-visit site when it stops raining. Hopefully will see at closer range.
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:49 pm

No photo unfortunately
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
sav

Postby sav » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:46 pm

Jan Keast wrote:Yes, seen this morning and unusual bird report submitted and regional rep notified. No photo taken as I don't have a good enough camera. Would be good if someone could get a good image and confirm or otherwise!
Will re-visit site when it stops raining. Hopefully will see at closer range.

Hi Jan,

Are you able to say why a Whiskered, and not a Black-fronted, Tern? Black-fronted would be a lot more likely.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Jan Keast

Postby Jan Keast » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:59 pm

I'm much more familiar with whiskered than black-fronted but from looking at field guides and my little experience of black-fronted:
There wasn't the distinct white rump vs grey back and wings and tail tip of the black-fronted. Whole top of bird was uniformly pale, I particularly looked for this. No differences in shade, brown feathers so don't think it is an immature.
Underneath pale.
Bill appeared uniformly black. Not close enough to determine if base or all bill very dark red but definitely did not look orange at all. I know whiskered are meant to have red or partly red bills but from seeing them regularly in Aus, their bills often appear black in non-breeding plumage especially from a distance. Bill quite thin. Couldn't see legs.
White crown. Distinct band around nape, not mottled or uneven.
Flight buoyant but less so than white-winged black tern. Picking up prey from surface of water of pond, not flying over adjacent land in 45 minutes. No diving or settling on water when feeding. Are there diagnostic differences in feeding technique between black-fronted and whiskered? Field guide to NZ birds mentions black-fronted typically feeding from 2m above water. This bird was much higher than this, 4 m at least.
Jan
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:32 pm

Did you get any photos Jan?
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
Jan Keast

Postby Jan Keast » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:52 pm

No photos unfortunately. Would have to be in the hand with the phone I have.
GrahamB

Postby GrahamB » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:38 am

I have a feeling I saw this (or similar) bird a couple of weeks at Waikanae Estuary - sitting on a post at the entrance to the lagoon exit channel (car-park). I only had my phone camera and they were of such poor resolution to be worthless. I will drop down to Pharazyn today with a proper camera and 'scope.
Cheers, GrahamB
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:25 pm

Hi all,

Also worth ruling out Little Tern (non-breeding) as I'm bot sure the description along discounts that possibility. Always fun to find out if place terns.

Russ
Jan Keast

Postby Jan Keast » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi all,

Didn't spot it this morning between 0945 and 1015. Left Graham to find it!

Didn't strike me as a little tern, which I'm familiar with from Darwin because it was bigger. Also more buoyant less direct flight, no hovering or plunge diving into surface of water in the 45 minutes I watched it.

Jan

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”