WW Bl Terns & Common Terns in Canterbury

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
andrewcrossland

WW Bl Terns & Common Terns in Canterbury

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:09 am

Hi folks, sorry for lateness.
Just reporting a breeding plumaged white-winged black tern on the Ashley river near the Okuku confluence on Monday, a common tern feeding and roosting with black-fronteds at the Ashburton rivermouth back on 5 Dec.

For folks visiting kaitorete spit tip/Otaunata at lake Ellesmere, there’s a large Caspian and white-fronted tern colony out on the far end point of the mudflats. Please give them a wide berth as besides the predatory kelp gulls nesting adjacent there’s also a group of magpies that are sitting around the outside and opportunistically seizing eggs and chicks. Cheers
Last edited by andrewcrossland on Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewcrossland

Re: Terns in Canterbury

Postby andrewcrossland » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:15 pm

A breeding plumaged WW Black Tern was at the Ashburton Rivermouth tonight, calling loudly and mobbing me for about half an hour. I didn't see a second one but it was sure acting the way you'd expect if nesting.

photos taken with cell phone. It came pretty close numerous times.

Screenshot 2023-12-29 231435.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-29 231435.jpg (22.36 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Oscar Thomas

Re: WW Bl Terns & Common Terns in Canterbury

Postby Oscar Thomas » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:31 pm

Awesome Andrew. Keen to hear if anyone sees it again. What’s access like? We went to the mouth of the Opihi River today instead and found good numbers of white-fronted terns nesting there.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:34 pm

Currently easy, river low and running clear. The bird was on the western side. It was 36oC in this part of Canerbury today and NW rain up in the mountains so don't be surprised if tomorrow the river is in flood as those waters make their way downstream. I emailed Ian Southey who I believe is looking for my breeding plumaged WW Bl tern from before Xmas at the Ashley-Okuku confluence, so he may be able to go have a look.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:14 pm

No sign of the breeding plumage WWBT at Ashburton / Hakatere mouth yesterday evening or this morning. Interestingly, we did observe a bird in basic plumage instead. What an awesome spot for birding, plenty of banded dotterel, SIPO, stilts, terns, gulls, and shags as well as wrybills, turnstones, black-fronted dotterels and arctic skuas just offshore. We had 47 species total.
AngryBird45

Postby AngryBird45 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:12 pm

Another WWBT was reported at Coopers Lagoon near Lake Ellesmere 10 days ago. It may be around the area now.
133 birds on my life list since 17 June 2020, latest bird Common Tern.
93 birds on my 2024 year list as of 6:50pm 13 January, latest bird Indian Peafowl.

15 y/o birder from the Waimak and Paradise Shelduck campaigner: facebook.com/paradiseshelduck.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”