Polynesian Storm-Petrel?

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
colinrl

Polynesian Storm-Petrel?

Postby colinrl » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:28 pm

i drive buses, sometimes, along Auckland's NW motorway and I've been seeing birds that I can't identify. My best shot is Polynesian Storm-Petrels. I see them at two points. 1. From the bridge over the Whau Creek as I'm heading towards the city, I see them sitting on the mud on the right-hand side of the creek, and 2. after going on to the motorway in the other direction from Western Springs I see just one sitting on the mud where the mangroves come to an end. Always at half tide.
I went for a walk to the first spot today hoping to get a photograph, but none showed up.

Colin Lunt
paradoxdinokipi

Re: Polynesian Storm-Petrel?

Postby paradoxdinokipi » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:08 pm

The behaviour that you've described matches nothing like how Polynesian Storm-Petrels or any other Storm-Petrels for that matter would act, could you give a better description of what the birds actually looked like?
colinrl

Postby colinrl » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:03 pm

They are slightly bigger than a sparrow. When sitting they are at an angle of 45 degrees or so. Black on the top of the wings with white underneath the chin. I did see one flying and it left a ripple on the water just after take-off, as if it had been dangling its feet on the surface. It seemed to have a lot of white on its back. Too much for any storm-petrel in my books. But I am zooming past in a bus. All I'm certain of is that it's a bird I've never seen before. It wasn't any of our regular storm-petrels. I've just been through my book "Albatrosses, Petrels and Shearwaters of the world and I can't pick anything that quite matches. As I said, Polynesian Storm-Petrel is my best shot. I may well be wrong, but whatever they are, they seem like a new species for me.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:33 pm

Hi Colin,

As the other commenter hinted, storm-petrels are a bird of offshore waters. Even with a scope it is almost never possible to see one from land unless during a brutal storm. If the bird is sitting on the mud and has a distinct chest band (like a Poly Stormy) perhaps it could be a Banded Dotterel? Aka Double-banded Plover.

Russ
colinrl

Postby colinrl » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:40 pm

Definitely not.
paradoxdinokipi

Postby paradoxdinokipi » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:00 pm

SIPO? Little Shag? You could possibly blur some features seeing it whilst you're driving and all
colinrl

Postby colinrl » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:15 pm

Not a SIPO or a Little Shag. Definitely something out of the ordinary. For me, anyway. It's something I've never seen before. Maybe it's a species I've seen before but in a plumage I've never come across before. I go along the NW motorway fairly frequently and I'm familiar with the usual birds and some of the less usual ones, but not these. This is the first time I've seen a species there that I couldn't identify.

Colin.
naturespotter

Postby naturespotter » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:30 pm

Maybe Shore Plover?
colinrl

Postby colinrl » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:12 pm

No!
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:43 am

Can I suggest a couple of birders with scope and cameras ride Colin’s bus and when the birds are spotted, get off, and get some good views and pics to ascertain the ID

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”