Mega, long toed stint Waituna Southland

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
sjacques

Mega, long toed stint Waituna Southland

Postby sjacques » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:10 pm

Being hassled regularly by a pec sand
20240114_120407.jpg
20240114_120407.jpg (409.08 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
sjacques

Re: Mega, long toed stint Waituna Southland

Postby sjacques » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:41 pm

First detected being chased around by a pec sand that has been present since mid December. Very much like a tiny sharpie. Yellow-legged, quite bright plumage still and no sign of moult when wings seen in a series of short flights, presume juvenile. Spent a lot of time on it's own, hassled by bandies aswell as the pec, though the two calidrids seemed to warm to each other over the couple of hours I watched and at times fed and roosted in close company . All behaviour suggested to me that this bird was recently arrived: Bradley had checked the site Friday, then a big energetic NW system with rain moved through yesterday. Toes projected in flight, strong supercilium, tramlines and stripey look to upperparts, really distinctive structure, long neck and tarsus on tiny body: all these ruling out least sandpiper. I will post some images later.

Got news out quickly and a few local birders joined me on site. Ebird checklist has location pin, please note, this bird is on private land and viewing needs to happen considerately. The scrape is owned by a Maori land trust and access through the wooden gate is by arrangement only. However, the site is actually better viewed as per my pin, from on top of the embankment separating from the public road amongst a line of felled pines. Should be able to view from there without any bother to anyone. Photo shows habitat.

Cheers, Sean
20240114_131410.jpg
20240114_131410.jpg (476.37 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
Samsperdy

Postby Samsperdy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:41 pm

Awesome sighting Sean!
Could this potentially be the same bird from 2022/23 that we saw at Ellesmere?
sjacques

Postby sjacques » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:43 pm

Thanks Sam,

I think it's likely to be a different individual as it had bright feather edges, including 'tramlines' in the scapulars, identifying it as a juvenile bird.

This is a good time of year to look for waders that are displaced when making transcontinental migrations in Australia. Records of this species peak in SE Aus from January onwards, similarly little whimbrel and oriental plover, both of which occurred in Southland in February last year.

Cheers,
Sean
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:45 pm

Considering heading down next weekend from Christchurch if anyone visits would love to hear any updates!

Missed last years one, don’t want to miss this years!
Caiden

Postby Caiden » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:51 pm

Saw the Long-toed Stint yesterday evening around 6 pm and this morning around 6 am. Both times it hasn't hung around long and has been chased off by bandies after a few minutes. Seems to be a bit of a waiting game of when it'll show up.

Also of note is the Pectoral Sandpiper and two Marsh Sands that share the flooded paddock.
160 species on my NZ life list, the latest being a Hutton's Shearwater at the Petrel Station.
https://www.youngbirdersnz.com/
sjacques

Postby sjacques » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:14 am

No sign in two hours checking yesterday evening, also the nearby lagoon named Pikiraurahi on Waghorn road. Two marshies and pec still present but far fewer bandies, scathing Westerly blowing the birds around and not doing much for the birders either. Hopefully will show up again.

Cheers, Sean
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:28 pm

The bird was reported there again today by Cynthia Hudson:
https://ebird.org/newzealand/checklist/S159107952
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
sjacques

Postby sjacques » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:25 am

No sign this morning 0630-0815. Both marsh sands, the pec and a new sharpie were present on the 'big pond.' If one were concentrating on superficial plumage pattern alone the sharpie could be mistaken for the stint, attention should be paid to structure and size relative to other waders present. Also checked Pikiraurahi, the scrape on Waghorn road, surprised to see a bar-tailed godwit drop in there for a few minutes.

Cheers, Sean

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”