BOP marsh sandpiper

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Ken George

BOP marsh sandpiper

Postby Ken George » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:07 am

Has anybody seen the marsh sandpiper seen in the upper Tauranga Harbour estuary area a few weeks ago?
Andrew Rousell

Re: BOP marsh sandpiper

Postby Andrew Rousell » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:19 pm

Hi Ken, I do fairly regular visits on the harbour between Athenree / Omokoroa with a search between Tanners point and Ongare point a couple of days after the report and have been looking since but seen nothing yet. Wondering if it may have been a juvenile Pied Stilt with lots around a few weeks ago with a huge amount of difference in plumage at the Katikati h/t roost, including a hybrid. Just a thought, no offence intended.
Ken George

Postby Ken George » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:36 pm

Thanks Andrew. It wasn't me that put the original sighting up on eBird, I've not seen a marshie here in the Bay of Plenty yet so just wondered if the bird had been seen again and verified so I could go up there for a look, doesn't seem like it has. Tim Barnard has seen them here in the BOP in years past so it's always a possibility.
Ken George

Postby Ken George » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:06 pm

Original eBird post by Jerry Hampton from Illinois USA March 26 at Tanners Point Foreshore Reserve. BOP.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”