Hawkes Bay - 3 Great Egret

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
sav

Hawkes Bay - 3 Great Egret

Postby sav » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:05 pm

Hi all,

Hey AC - I see your 2 Great Egrets and raise you one!

We almost always have a single Great Egret over Winter somewhere in the Napier/Hastings area, but this year a bird first seen at Haumoana (the estuary of the Tukituki River) in mid-March, was joined by another after a couple of weeks and then by a third last week.

All three birds were feeding together within about 20m of each other this afternoon.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
les

Re: Hawkes Bay - 3 Great Egret

Postby les » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:42 am

yes, I saw an article in the local paper about this. It was said by the person that submitted the photo that they believed that the white heron had not been seen there for the last ten years?.No so,I have seen them regularly for every year around haumoana,east clive,waitangi estuary.not to mention various places around napier as well.
sav

Postby sav » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 pm

Hi all,

The 3 HB Great Egrets were all still in place at Haumoana this afternoon.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 am

Three have been reported in the Wellington area recently. One has been at the Waimanu Lagoon in Waikanae for over a week now and two others have been photographed at Titahi Bay and on the lower Hutt River Estuary.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”