Dargaville & Poutu Pt birding report

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Dargaville & Poutu Pt birding report

Postby RussCannings » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:51 pm

Hi all,

Returned recently from 3 nights at Glink's Gully (West coast near Dargaville, Northland). This was a family holiday so birding was mostly incidental as we explored the playgrounds and beaches of the region. Since this isn't the most heavily covered region of the country, I thought I'd share some observations:

Aussie Little Grebes+--saw 1 at Kai Iwi Lake (along with 12 dabchick), 1 at Lake Rototuna (main roadside lake along the road to Kaipara North Head/Poutu Pt), and 2 in a small pond behind the Glink's Gully village. Scaup (scarce in Northland) were also present at Kai Iwi Lake and Rototuna.

Seawatching--Not surprisingly, seawatching was generally pretty slow off the shallow west coast, though gannets were regularly at sea and on one evening, good numbers (in the hundreds) of Fluttering Shearwaters were close to shore. A Sooty Shearwater & Fairy Prion were found dead on the beach near Glink's Gully.

Waders--I didn't do any 'proper' wader-watching on the Kaipara (and the Poutu Pt side seems to be mostly the domain of oystercatchers rather than Arctic waders), so mostly patrolled the ocean beaches. Both species of oystercatchers were present here, and most of the Variables were the 'pied' form. A few stilts and spur-winged plovers were also around but no dotterels were seen (including the entire stretch of beach between Bayley's Beach & Glink's Gully).

Black-billed Gulls--A few young birds were mixed in with Red-bill flocks on both the ocean side and Kaipara Harbour side of the peninsula.

Anecdotal thoughts---Harriers and kingfishers were conspicuously abundant (compared to densities in the Waikato), however Spotted Doves seemed far less common than in the Auckland/Waikato/East coast of Northland--perhaps drier in the Dargaville area? I didn't see a single rosella either which may relate to a drier climate with less native bush cover.

*Would definitely recommend visiting the Poutu Point lighthouse. One of the more remote areas of the North Island with some spectacular scenery and neat geology.

Steady bins,

Russ Cannings

p.s. Unrelated but of note--spoonbills successfully bred in two locations in the Waikato this summer. It's happening! :D

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”