Rifleman Days Bay

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
sav

Re: Rifleman Days Bay

Postby sav » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:29 pm

There’s plenty of Riflemen at Boundary Stream in HB.
cheers
Sav
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Unfortunately as has been witnessed on numerous occasions what's plentiful now might well be gone after a mouse/rat/stoat plague
Rifleman are definetly in decline, I assume populations are hanging on at altitude currently out of range of rats. .. I'm guessing good productivity has enabled recoveries in places
A few more insurance populations would not go amiss..

Cheers
Jim
tim

Postby tim » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:14 am

Cape santuary in Hawkes Bay has a predator proof fence and has rifleman. Boundary stream rifleman have been in decline for an few years now due too 3-4 translocations with birds out (between 30 -80 birds each time)and far less active predator control. It used to be that good that I could find rifleman nests on the ground but now not as many nests and they are nesting higher. There needs to be an stop on tranlocations out so populations can rebuild as its not an fenced area and remaining birds still have to deal with predators.
Tim Rumble
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Numerous Rifleman on track between Port Howard and My Lowry today - I can't hear them anymore but my daughter described it as almost background noise!
Thanks to her spotted several groups although all were moving rapidly through the bush
A few tomtit, tui and bellbird but other highlight were two morepork roosting together close to where the Cheviot road track meets the main ridge track.
Cheers Jim
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Found a pair of Rifleman today right by the sign at the junction of Kereru Track and Main Ridge Track heading towards Hawtrey. GPS -41.285970 174.919356. They were low down in the bush about 1 metre away from me.
Rifleman.jpg
Rifleman.jpg (115.53 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”