Cattle Egret, Whangaehu Beach Rd

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
jimmifinn

Re: Cattle Egret, Whangaehu Beach Rd

Postby jimmifinn » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:16 pm

2024-04-30 Cattle Egret Whangaehu Beach Road 5Z9A8157.JPG
One of the two Cattle Egrets with the cows on Whangaehu Beach Road, 30 April 2024
2024-04-30 Cattle Egret Whangaehu Beach Road 5Z9A8157.JPG (448.09 KiB) Viewed 86 times
This afternoon my wife and I drove down Whangaehu Beach Road, checking for any sign of Cattle Egrets. A group regularly winter on Dairy Farm with the Fonterra number 44011 and usually arrive mid-May.

We found two egrets with some cows, distant from the road. Later they moved to join three White-faced Herons at a water trough but were extremely wary and quickly seemed to realise we were watching them from the road. Eventually they moved away to a more distant paddock.

Last winter before they returned, presumably to Australia, there were 11 egrets associating with the cows on this farm. 30 April is earlier than I have seen them arrive in previous winters.

Jim Norris

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”