Australian King Parrot

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Matt SP

Australian King Parrot

Postby Matt SP » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:48 am

I learnt yesterday that there's a Australian King Parrot that visits my street pretty regularly, and has done so for a few years! It apparently hangs with a flock of Eastern Rosellas around the One Tree Hill area in Auckland. It visits a lady who puts out seed for the rosellas a few doors down and she said she last saw it three months ago, but it was back again yesterday. I managed to get a few pictures of it, some are bit blurry though.
IMG_9151(2).jpg
IMG_9151(2).jpg (224.15 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
IMG_9150(2).jpg
IMG_9150(2).jpg (222.46 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Australian King Parrot

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:08 am

Nice bird. Interesting that it has gone a few years without being widely reported. No sign of a leg band? Hopefully Steps sees this and can tell us whether many people band captive parrots. Is someone likely to free-range one of these?
N
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Now NZ's rarest parrot?
I suspect free range - there are a few people that let their pet parrots out during the day and they return to the cage at night - I suspect they are responsible for many of the s/c cockatoo and galah groups around.
Don't know anything about King Parrots though - could it be a windblown straggler? - although I guess it's location in central Auck strongly points to human assistance...

cheers
jim
Steps

Postby Steps » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:58 am

That is a nice looking male king...
We never put leg rings on any of our birds.. had a couple accidents getting caught many yrs ago in the aviaries/ flights. If breeding in small cages, and had raising one doesnt run into such issues. W had enough flights to keep track of breeding lines without rings.
We used to breed them and Crimson wings... both make great house parrots. Our king parrot house parrot for many years was parent raised and then tamed down.. keeping the original independent nature, non psychologly depend on people... basically one co habits as flat mates. He only pent around 3 hrs locked in a the cage.. we had a function here. Otherwise just roamed around... even with the cat when we went on holiday. Kings and crimsons are not noisy and are not destructive chewers.

Yes under stand hanging out with Rosella... we always had a flock of Rosella hanging around the area during most days.. middle of urban sth auckland .. and would inter act. call back and forth the the kings and crimsons .. nothing between the Rosella and kakariki thu (which are 'distant cousins')

A parent raised/ wild male king will tame down very nice and very easy, but will always maintain a more independent aloofness where as the female will interact far more ready. Taming down a 'wild' adult larger of the more intelligent parrots to the point of hand feeding takes 2 to 3 days if done the slow way in a aviary.

" Is someone likely to free-range one of these?"
No they are not prolific breeders... if luck in captivity produce 2 to 4 birds in a good year.. make excellent free range (like a cat) pets . I would imagine
1/ hes been a caged or aviary bird . escaped, the owners run out after him in a panic tried to catch him, hes panicked and flown wide before , having a chance to perch high as get bearings.. cant find his way home.
2/ Escaped from a aviary in a storm.

We lost the roof on a avairy of 60 odd kakariki a few yrs back....a lot where still in the aviary.. flighing in a and out.. so left them to it and waited for dusk for most to head back for a feed and roost....like cats dogs cows pigs etc. About 15 where in the trees around deciding to stay there... and we fixed the roof that evening.
Next day a couple of those live rat traps with a bit fruit . veggies in....by midday they where all back in the aviary.

Like my grandfather used to say..." Count to 10 VERY slowly .. THEN panic in a orderly manner"
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
tomdennison

Postby tomdennison » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:31 pm

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 12.27.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 12.27.55 PM.png (4.36 MiB) Viewed 3995 times

I saw this bird in Maungakiekie on Twin Oak Drive a few days ago, seemed curious so I went down a googling rabbit hole which lead me to this forum.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:21 pm

Yep a Male King Parrot. They’re relatively common in captivity so I suggest someone in the local area has had a bit of a jailbreak!
chris

Postby chris » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:58 am

Guessing the rosella is a wild mate of the king.
Steps

Postby Steps » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:47 am

Quite likely... Rosella have been crossed with kakariki oversea.. the result is a very ugly bird.
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
VanessaMS

Postby VanessaMS » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:29 am

Tuesday 8 May: I heard a strange noise in a tree near my garden. I was sweeping up autumn leaves. I thought at first it was an Eastern Rosella but the it was not the chittering sound they make. I could only see the bird from below and it was completely red. A lovely dark red not the scarlet of the rosellas. It appeared to be slightly larger than the Eastern rosellas. It was alone and the rosellas nearly always come through in pairs or flocks. A little detective work suggests it was an Australian king parrot. A very beautiful bird from below at least.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi Vanessa. Size can be a difficult thing to judge, but I would say a king parrot is much bigger than a rosella, more than twice the weight. I guess from the angle you had it might not have been possible to see the wings/back.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”