Wellington City biodiversity

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Colin Miskelly

Re: Wellington City biodiversity

Postby Colin Miskelly » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:07 pm

The male kārearea is back on the carillon at noon today.
Colin
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:54 pm

Saw 3 Kaka flying around near Wellington Hospital in Newtown yesterday lunchtime including one of them landing in the big Phoenix Palms at the front and moving around inside the crowns of two of them for about ten minutes. This is a location where I haven't seen them before.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:28 am

The adult female kārearea is back on the carillon. That is 6 out of the last 9 days (and I was in Auckland for the weekend).

However, before 21 July they had not used this hunting perch for at least 6 months. Do they move between preferred hunting perches as the local prey species become too wary (or the unwary and infirm are locally depleted)?

Ngā mihi
Colin
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:31 am

When I watched them they were watching intently from the top of the tower and then suddenly launched a gliding attack on what must have been small songbirds in the trees below. This prompted a Tui alarm call but neither of them caught any prey and returned to the top of the tower fairly promptly to continue their watching. Another time I saw the male alone on the top of the tower. It glided down from the tower towards the nearby trees but it broke off its attack about halfway and then flew off towards the Basin Reserve.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:38 am

Melissa Boardman reports via Facebook seeing a pair of Kārearea yesterday morning hopping around on the gravel in the rock garden at the Botanic Garden swallowing 'rangle' stones.
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:56 pm

Female cirl bunting feeding on freshly-sown grass seed with house sparrows and one yellowhammer at Prince of Wales Park, Mt Cook, Wellington. Recognised as likely cirl bunting (cf. female yellowhammer) when side-on 5 m away, as no chestnut was apparent on the sides of the rump. Rump confirmed to be olive-coloured when it flew.

This is the second cirl bunting I have seen in suburban Wellington (the other was in Khandallah about 20 years ago), but I have seen them more recently on the Wainuiomata coast and on Mana Island.

Ngā mihi
Colin
Wrybill

Postby Wrybill » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:47 pm

On 2 July I saw 8 Kaka Flying South Opposite the Interisland Ferry Terminal and two Caspian Terns Flying in the harbour near Kaiwharawhara Point
128 Species on my life-list, Latest Lifer Pectoral Sandpiper, Hokio Stream
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:37 pm

No sign of the Cirl Bunting in Price of Wales park area today, but I did get good views of a Falcon flying above to the tall trees in Central Park area, where it put up a flock of 17 Kaka, then the Falcon flew back south over me again, and then started harassing a Harrier, before flying off to the west over Ohiro Valley area.
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:39 pm

I was at Prince of Wales Park this morning as well. There was a large number of Yellowhammers and Chaffinches feeding in the construction area at the north end (maybe forty or fifty birds total), but all at the back of the area so not close enough for me to find any Cirl Bunting amongst them, if it was still there.
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:54 pm

Tim Park reports seeing Rifleman at Ōtari-Wilton's Bush yesterday, "Below the lookout near the Nikau/kowhai trees".

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”