Myna in New Brighton, Christchurch

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Michael Szabo

Re: Myna in New Brighton, Christchurch

Postby Michael Szabo » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:32 pm

I see that Simon Fordham has also commented on this story on Facebook: "On Tiritiri Matangi Island, I have witnessed mynas pulling kakariki chicks out of a nest, for no apparent reason. They have also been known to destroy active saddleback nests, as well as utilise nesting boxes intended for various endemic species, inside the forest."
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
jimmifinn

Postby jimmifinn » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:52 pm

Here in Wanganui, we have had Mynahs for many years. They are bullies and regularly take over starling nests. I have seen them pecking at House Sparrow nests. Whether they were after the eggs or chicks, I don't know.

They are not nice birds and shouldn't be encouraged in new areas.

Jim Norris
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:03 pm

You might be surprised how many people still think mynas and magpies ARE the biggest threat (because they see them). I believe the native birds on Tiri (and Tawh, and Shakespear) are still doing ok, despite the mynas, and I wouldn't worry too much about them bullying starlings and house sparrows. I've never suggested leaving them – it could be terrible if they got into mohua areas – but I do think the general public needs constant reminding that most of the country gets little to no control of mammalian preds, and they are vastly worse.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:33 pm

A call bird in a cage trap would probably get one or both of these birds by sunset. I could probably send a bird down, although a falcon took one in the garden this morning so the rest of the gang might be a little wary for a day or two. If Andrew wants to put it to others in the council, I'm sure it could be arranged.
gmckinlay

Postby gmckinlay » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:00 pm

I would think some kind of attractant + cage might be better than shooting. A cage with a remote trigger perhaps.

We had a single myna in Pohnpei, Micronesia which we took out by shooting some years back. However it was hard process, knowing that a missed shot would likely mean the bird would move elsewhere. We had an excellent shooter who took several days before getting his one shot. The bird flew off with a few less feathers.

It was never seen again, so presumably died as a result, but not having confirmation was not helpful.

Prior to the shooting I spent several days visiting, to observe the bird to enable a good plan to be developed. i am convinced the the bird quickly figured out that unlike everybody else I was paying attention to it, and so modified it's behavior in response to my presence such that I started having difficulty re-finding it. The fisheries workers at the site however, would see the bird acting normally, but when I wasn't there.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:30 pm

Rest assured folks, the mynas will be got one way or another - and the baby kakariki and saddlebacks will suffer no more.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”