Possible kaka in Mt Albert

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
aaustin

Possible kaka in Mt Albert

Postby aaustin » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:18 am

Hi all,

A large red/brown bird flew across a walking path on Mt Albert this morning: don’t think it was a kereru (didn’t have a white underbelly). It flew directly into the bush, which I haven’t seen a gull do before. Would be uncommon to see kaka in suburban Auckland?

Cheers
Andrew
Jim_j

Re: Possible kaka in Mt Albert

Postby Jim_j » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi Andrew

Surprisingly no - there are quite often reports on this site of kaka in Auckland on this site - Mt Albert, Cornwall Park etc.
I lived in Auckland 25+ years ago and while waiting for the bus in Royal Oak and saw groups of 3+ birds on many occasions at certain times of the year - must have been on a well used flight path.
I believe the birds come from the outer Gulf islands at certain times of the year looking for food - I imagine it may be some instinctive inherited behaviour possibly related to when the vast forests of Rata, Pohutukawa or some other trees flowered.

Cheers
Jim
aaustin

Postby aaustin » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks Jim! I went up again this evening, and managed to photograph it! First time I've seen one in suburban Auckland :)
LR-7436.jpg
LR-7436.jpg (876.78 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:04 am

Cool - hope it sticks around for a while.

cheers
jim

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”