Waders back at the Manawatu Estuary

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
philbattley

Waders back at the Manawatu Estuary

Postby philbattley » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Godwits were reported back at the Manawatu Estuary last Sunday, and I confirmed today that numbers were to up to 25 from the ~11 overwintering birds, and there were three returned individually marked adults. Also present were a single Red Knot and a single Curlew Sandpiper.
Cheers, Phil
Davidthomas

Re: Waders back at the Manawatu Estuary

Postby Davidthomas » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Kieran Rowe noted an increase in Godwits at Lake Ellesmere last week as well as the first returning peeps. I went down this morning with Mike Ashbee and found 47 Godwits and a single Curlew Sand. (Missing were the four stints from the previous week) as well as a fair few wrybill not yet on their breeding grounds.

The exciting time of year is beginning!
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Nice we have a Curlew Sandpiper back at Ellesmere! Each year I worry it will be their last. Now just for that Greenshank... Better blow the dust off my binoculars.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:20 pm

So 50 Godwits disappeared from the Avon-Heathcote several weeks ago (which is not unusual prior to the migrants returning) and I suggest this accounts for the observed influx at Lake Ellesmere.

Curlew Sands and RN Stints always start arriving at Ellesmere in the last week of August, followed by Godwits in mid Sept.

No arrivals at the Avon-Heathcote Estuary as of yesterday's high tide.
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:02 pm

At Manawatu Estuary this morning, 25 godwits present, including two flagged- ZZT and BEC. We were also there last Saturday and found 20 godwits, including ZZT. Could not see the Curlew Sand. that you saw yesterday Phil. I am looking for the arrival of Godwit AJD, who should be here in the next seven days, although I cannot be 100% sure he was not there this morning as several birds were resting on the ground.
Mavis Hirini

Postby Mavis Hirini » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:13 pm

Paul AJD was present today.
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks Mavis, great to hear this. We plan to visit tomorrow at around 11 am on our return from the South Island. Paul

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”